Friday, September 24, 2010

Reasons!

I need new specs.
As is spectacles.
As in glasses.
As in I can't afford contacts and am weirdly blind.

Truth is, I've had this pair for two years now and they've held up SO WELL comparatively. I mean, the left lens IS super-glued in BUT it's okay because I can't really see from that side anyway.

Hold up, rewind.
So, mid-nineties, Mum and Bandito notice I have eye problems. I had a hard time seeing spaces in words when trying to read and I couldn't distinguish smaller shapes unless I touched them. For instance, I couldn't see individual leaves on trees. Yeah. But we couldn't afford to get my eyes checked or get me glasses until Bandito joined the Navy and WOOHOO dependent coverage!!

First, I should say, my eyes looked like this most of the time:
My left eye was SO TWONKY!


We go to my first eye appointment and the doctor pretty much says, "OMFGWTFBBQsauce! her eyes are TERRIBLE! She has a lazy-eye and it could be degenerative. We can do this this and this to help."
Soooo first pair of glass which I managed to keep until about third grade. MASSIVELY corrective.
They were aboooout ____________________ < this thick.
The first day I wore them, I tried to balance on a curb because I could actually SEE that it was above actual ground. THAT didn't work so well. I also was totally fascinated because I asked Bandito what was wrong with the trees-they looked funny, like they had some kind of abnormal growth that made what I usually saw (green lumps with some brown sticks connecting them to trees) look REALLY weird and he told me there was nothing wrong, I could just actually see the leaves now.
For instance:
Most people can see this and that it has individual leaves.
And this is closer to what I could see

Fantastic!!
So, here comes kindergarten at a new school and I am Coke-Bottle Girl!!
It gets better.
To strengthen my lazy-eye and make it work, they decide to put me in an eye patch.
Yeah. I've mentioned I was clumsy right? Well, I was jumpy, too. Since I could never see something coming up on my left, I got in the habit of keeping my held turned slightly to the left when I was older (I still kind of do). Well, with being a pirate and all my patch, I couldn't see CRAP.
And the kids always wanted to play Pirates. Guess who got to be the bad guy all the time?
I HATED being the bad guy. I just wanted to play Power Rangers. "But you can't have a BLIND power ranger!!"
I pushed a kid down the slide for that one.
So anyway, here I am, lazy-eyed, patch-covered, Coke Bottle Girl.
Gooooooood times. NOT.
So yeah, I went through a LOT of glass from about 8 until I was fifteen. In kinder, I made my 5s like Js because I couldn't differentiate between a cross bar, part of a line, and a big belly and a cross bar a straight line and a fish hook.
I didn't wear an eye-patch again until fourth grade. I was also legally blind. Let me tell you that SUCKED.
Anyway, I spend years in corrective lenses. I go in for my check up at about 16 and they're like "OMFGWTFBBQsauce! (I like that saying) You're 20/20 in your right eye and 20/45 in your left!"
WOW.

That was also part of why I don't have my driver's license yet. The running joke at the fire department is just to attach an extra rearview mirror to my glasses.

So yeah. If we look at my injury history, most of my injuries are on my left side, because I couldn't a.) see something coming towards me b.) tell the distance between me and something I was about to hit c.) ask someone to cover my left side d.) be distracted from what was going on on my right side or e.) sacrifice my much better right side.

Now, my left eye doesn't drift as much. If I'm really concentrating or tired or spacing out, it will. Or if I'm not paying attention and I happen to notice I'm seeing more of the stuff on my left than in left-front of me.
Alright, I don't actually NEED new specs, but it wouldn't hurt.

And I'm off!

Tata!
P7

No comments:

Post a Comment